Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Naked..It's the New Black

So there has been this naked running trend going down on Dailymile. No. I'm not talking about exposing booty butt cheeks. I'm talking about running sans music and Garmin. Well, going without music may not be a big deal. I did a 10 mile race without it. But the whole no Garmin thing, well that's HUGE. Once you get into the world of running, you become obsessed with numbers. How fast did I go? How far did I go? What's my best pace? What are my splits? All this goes on and you start to forget why you started running in the first place. And it stops being fun. Yes, it's nice knowing that I can run fast if I want to. But do I really enjoy it? Not that much.

I hit the road yesterday without a damn thing. In all honesty, I've been running without the supposed necessities for a bit now. I don't do socks, unless it's cold. I got rid of the stability shoes 3 months ago (viva la minimalist running!). I've been without music for 2 months (because I'm waiting for an ear bud replacement from Hong Kong..Long story. And now I can't tell you where my mp3 player is.). So yeah, I was almost there. But I never ran without my Garmin until yesterday. I wasn't tempted to take my Timex Ironman watch. I didn't set the stopwatch on my phone. Heck, I didn't even look at the time when I started/stopped. And you know what? It was a wonderful feeling. And the best run I had in ages. I wasn't even a minute into it when I started smiling. Who does that? Apparently, I do. I haven't run with a smile probably since the very beginning. Running went from something I enjoyed to me saying, "Okay, let's just get this over with." What are the chances of having a good run when you think of it that way? It shouldn't be that way.

So I enjoyed naked running so much that I may do it for the rest of the week. If all goes well, I'll be knocking out a 6 miler by the weekend. I won't stress about it. I won't try to hold a certain pace or beat a certain time. I'll just do it because I like to do it. And I'll remember how overjoyed I was when I started. Because running was something I was never capable of (damn anemia!). I dreamed about it, but couldn't do it. And when I finally did it, my thought was, "Thank you, God." I need to get back to that. And yesterday was one of those moments. I had no distractions. It was me, the sun, the blue skies, and the Canadian geese (one hissed at me).

Speaking of dreams, a couple weeks ago I dreamed of running a half. I know I mentioned the possibility of running one. But you don't understand. When I dream something, I must make it happen. Or I'll keep dreaming about it until it happens. That's how I got into running in the first place. If I dream it, it shall be or I shall be nagged to death in my dreams. So if all goes well with my running, all the sudden, you'll check my blog to find a race report out of no where. Yeah, that would be funny considering how much I hate racing. Hmm, maybe I'll race naked. That's a thought. But first, let's hope my mojo continues and that nothing breaks down on me.

Happy running or whatever it is you do. Be free! Run naked!

11 comments:

Christina @ AccomplishingMotherhood said...

OK I think I MIGHT just have to try this naked running. You make it sound so "light". I'll let you know if it works :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

I guess I should have read the entire post before I went out and ran sans clothing and just my shoes.......... Ha, now you're running'old school'!

Michelle said...

Chica,
I am so so happy that you decided to try a sans garmin run. At first I wasn't sure you would love it, but reading this and knowing how much I love it, well it just makes me so happy for you. It's completely freeing. No swinging up your arm to constantly look at the distance and pace.

I say if your not training for a race, go naked A LOT!!!!

I am also so glad your running is going good. I think you would rock a half marathon. SO, I support you in your endeavors.

Michelle said...

Also, I love your new blog look. Very nice!!!!

Tabitha said...

No naked running in my near future! But then again I ran naked for almost a year before buying my Garmin last month.*newbie runner* The tables have turned..I'm done naked running for now. I'm sure I'll still do it every now and then, but I'm in love with my Garmin :-)

Lindsay said...

i should probably run some watch-less runs here and there. i can do without obsessing over my time/pace during a run but i just "need" the stats for my log when i'm done ;) i really ought to just go 'naked' and map the distance out when i get back (to fulfill my nerdy needs)

always glad to hear running is going well! :)

Girl in Carolina said...

"Run Nake" I love that, it makes me giggle! And I am going to try it!

Scott McMurtrey said...

:) Sounds like fun.

Meg said...

I like the idea of running "naked", but I really enjoy having the numbers when I get home. When I run outside, I run with a buddy and so don't bring the ipod, and I rarely check my pace/distance until I get home, but still...

You said you gave up the stability shoes, what are you running in now?

Stuart said...

I think I would sooner *be* nakes than Garmin less!

A Plain Observer said...

hmmmmm i missed this post!
I'm going to borrow it for my newsletter if that's okay. Love your writing!