Saturday, August 8, 2009

Do I Drink Too Much?

I don't know what it is, but whenever I have a long run, I can't stop going to the bathroom. My first major hydration issue was back when I ran Broad Street. I was gonna pee on myself before the race. Finally had a potty break before race start. But then, I had to go again at the start. Same thing happened last weekend for my 9miler. I peed numerous times before I left the house. Then when I finally get out to run, I've got to go. Lo and behold, the same thing happened today. Back and forth to the bathroom, then I get to the track and have to go again.

Now I'm wondering if I'm so concerned about long runs that I over hydrate. Or is it that long runs make me nervous, and peeing is a nervous reaction? Can it be both? Really, long runs get to me. Somewhere in the back of my head, I'm thinking it's going to be a disaster. It takes so much psyching myself up just to get out the door on a normal day. I'm so much worse when it comes to long runs. Yes, I prepare for them. I eat a great dinner. I don't drink (alcohol) the night before. I hydrate throughout the day. Go back and forth to the bathroom. I pick out a comfortable outfit. Then I take my sweet time getting out the door. But before I step out for good, I go again. And you know what? I have to go again at the beginning of my run. What the heck? Anyone else have this issue?

So on to today's run (pretty graphs and splits below)...It was a nice night. The humidity was low. There was a nice breeze. But too bad I just didn't feel like being out there. The good thing is, I did my long run today instead of tomorrow, when it's supposed to be a hot one. And trying to pull 7 miles out of my behind on a hot day when I already don't wanna be out is a recipe for disaster. I can, however, pull out 3 miles on a sucky day. So that's the plan for tomorrow.

Now, let me recap what the heck I've been doing when I'm not blogging here...

8/1 - Yoga (30min dvd)
5mi Treadmill (45:20 - 9:03 pace)

8/2 - 9mi Track (1:27:32 - 9:43)
I know, I know. Who the hell runs 9 miles on the track? I went out late, so that was my option. Luckily, I wasn't bored enough to shoot myself.

8/4 - 5mi Track (47:13 - 9:26 pace)

8/5 - Yoga Class (1hr)
3.4mi Indoor Track (29:45 - 8:45 pace)
Not sure how accurate this was. I was using my Tech 4o watch that was calibrated like 3 times. I think I have to calibrate again though.

8/6 - 5mi Track (44:48 - 8:57 pace)

I do feel like I've been slacking though. It all started when my cousin from Alaska called me at some ridiculous time and had me up til the wee hours of the morning. My sleep schedule ain't been right since. And I canceled Tuesday's swim class because I was just tired. I did make sure I got in that day's run though. I'll try to do better this week. It's supposed to be 98° on Monday. Maybe that will make want to swim on a non-swim lesson day. We shall see.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy your weekend. Peace.

Activity
Route:Track
Elev. Avg:36 ft
Location:Willingboro, NJElev. Gain:+3 ft
Date:08/08/09Up/Downhill: [+6/-3]
Time:06:57 PMDifficulty:2.0 / 5.0

Weather:A Few Clouds

72 F temp; 68% humidity

72 F heat index; winds SE 5
Performance

Distance: 7.00 miles

Time:1:04:48
Speed:6.5 mph

Pace:9' 15 /mi

Calories:777

Elevation (ft)
Pace (min/mile)
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Elevation
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
19' 36+0' 216.2-0.2+3 ft
29' 29
+0' 146.3-0.20 ft
39' 25+0' 106.4-0.10 ft
49' 20+0' 056.4-0.10 ft
59' 15+0' 006.5-0.00 ft
69' 07
-0' 086.5+0.10 ft
end8' 35-0' 407.0+0.50 ft
Versus average of 9' 15 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

13 comments:

Jess said...

I would guess nerves more than anything.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

annoying yes, but important, especially in the humidity to be hydrated. Hope you get back into your routine soon :)

Latanya Rene said...

I know the elliptical is a bit different but I can't wait to get to like 9 miles on it. You're a machine...an amazing brilliant machine! <3

joyRuN said...

I usually hold off on hydrating until during/after my runs because I hate interrupting my run to pee. Very bad, I know! I still manage to have to pee all the time though - my bladder must be weak or something. Ah well.

See you at the PDR :)

sneakersister said...

Great job Christie!! You have been seriously kicking butt with your workouts, I remember what you were doing a year ago and you have come so far. I can't wait to see the results in your next race.

By the say, the peeing thing, race nerves, totally! The same thing happens to me. It seems like I have to go only minutes after I last went.

A Plain Observer said...

Christy, for a Sunday race, I normally start hydrating on Wed and continue until Saturday. I don't drink much on Sunday pre race so I dont have problems with going to the bathroom other than the normal. Try that. I used to do the same you do until given this advice that seems to work for me.
I do the same for a marathon.

Anonymous said...

You need to start hydrating yourself a couple of days or so before a big race. On race day I actually drink very little. I'll drink some when I get up and usually nothing at least an hour before the race. This has translated into no problems at all for my half marathons I've done.

solarpowered said...

I've had that problem in the past, and I think it's a combo of nerves and hydrating issues. I've stopped drinking anything within an hour of the run/race. I hydrate all.the.time. and especially the day/night before a race/long run -- but then when I wake up, I don't drink anything else for that last hour+ before heading out - although sometimes I'll take a swig right as I walk out the door. It's helped.

Ulyana said...

Hi! I found your blog through Michelle's - you did a guest post... your story is really inspirational and cool.

I have the same problem, or used to, haha, where I'd have to go "one more time" before I go on a long run, and it'd be MUCH worse when I'm about to race... it's like I'd never get out of the porta potty line, ever! So, yes, I realized I just drank too much! Something would get me so psyched out about the long run that I'd have to get extra ready... but that doesn't always work with water! :)

peter said...

When I'm properly hydrated before a run, and I take anything with caffeine (coffee, or even a GU with caffeine), it's Katie unbar that door, again & again!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I love the idea of the yoga class. I might look into that until work picks up. I'm not a medical person, but peeing is a good sign, especially if its clear or nearly so. I know it's inconvenient. Maybe you can experiment in training and back off the drinking just a little bit and see what happens. I always worry that I don't go enough - I figure I'm dehydrated or seomthing.

Laurel said...

I can't believe how speedy you have gotten since I last posted.

The nerves make me have to go, every time. Especially during races. I go like 15 times before the race starts and usually have to go at least once during a longer race/run.

Angela Keith said...

I will admit that yes, I too have a peeing problem. It doesn't matter how much or little I drink before a run I pee 4-5 times before I head out the door. And heaven help me if I have to drive somewhere to run, because I'll pee when I get there, too. But I'd rather pee before a run than during a run. I hate that feeling. Maybe it's because we are smart that we pee that much before a run. Yeah! That's it, we are proactive!