Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nope. I'm not doing it.

I'm still not running. It's not about laziness or cold weather or whatever. I'm still injured. Before I had taken close to 4 weeks off. But I found out quickly that it wasn't long enough. It didn't matter how long or short the runs were, my hip region was still irritated afterward. It wasn't a problem during the run though. So it's quite tricky. Usually if you're injured, the discomfort hits you while running. But that's not my issue. I can still run. And I had run as much as 10mi with the injury. But it's after the run that would kick my ass. It's been, what, six weeks now? It has improved a lot. But it's not 100%. So I'm still not running. Part of me really wants to go out for a spin. I miss running. I really do. But I don't want to re-injure myself by not giving it enough time.

In the meantime, I'll keep up with my cross training. Well, somewhat. I got caught up watching the Australian Open at ridiculous times of the night and morning. It completely threw my schedule out of whack. So there was a week that I did absolutely nothing, not even yoga. But the tournament is over now. Back to business as usual. I've skipped my Y classes simply because I don't feel like going. But I replaced them with some kick ass Jillian Michaels dvds. I did No More Trouble Zones a couple weeks ago. And I was sore from head to toe. Everything, except my face, hurt. I did it again today and I have no post workout muscle soreness (yet). I also did 30 Day Shred a couple times. It's a lot less painful, yet effective. Next, I plan to tackle Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. Something about it scares me. I gotta feeling I won't be able to lift my leg. But we'll see.

Whatever I've been doing for the past few weeks has definitely been effective in the strength training department. You know why? Because I can do push ups now! I can't do a bunch. But I can do more than ten at a time. That, to me, is HUGE. My arms are easily cut because I don't carry my weight there. But my strength (and weight) is in my legs. Previously, I could only do modified push ups. And that alone, was enough work for me. My, have things changed. I hope that all this other stuff will make me a better runner once I get back to it.

Speaking of running again, I am seriously considering buying a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. There's something to this barefoot running thing. Heck, my dad even brought up barefoot running the other day. He's not a runner. I'm hoping it will cure whatever I got going on, if I start slowly. I read somewhere that it can be good for those who were jacked up but now coming back to running. I can't see running in them all the time, but it would be a great training tool. And I've seen a bunch of blogs/training logs of VFF runners who adore them. It's worth a try. But first, I need to stop being lazy and measure my foot. Where's my ruler?

12 comments:

Carly said...

Oh my gosh....there is a DVD MORE painful than Shred? That really scares me. I hope your hip issues heal soon. there is nothing worse than an injury to side line you.

Michelle said...

Your going to get VFF's???? Ooooh I am all excited for you. You know I run in them right???

I feel like a little kid running in them. So cool!! I think you may love them!!!

I Run for Fun said...

Hope you get better soon. All this cross training is definitely going to pay off when you get back into running. Let me know how VFF works out for you. My brother uses them for walking and slow runs and he lvoes them.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Push ups???? I'm afraid of you now.....

Ulyana said...

yeah, injuries suuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhuuuuck! That's all I've got to say, haha!

I'm thinking about barefoot running too!

Reese said...

I also wear the VF FF's. I haven't raced in them, but might do a 5k. The only thing I'll say is they are not a cure all. I think they help toughen my feet, and build my leg muscles, but I run ultra's and need that. They may improve your stride. I do recommend them if you take it very easy for several months.

Lindsay said...

sorry to hear your hip is still giving you issues! :-/ at least you are able to crosstrain a good bit to keep your cardio up. are you doing anything for your hip? rolling, pt, ice, heat, massage...? just curious (i have no suggestions in particular, just think some "therapy" would help).

Stuart said...

Go forefoot before you go barefoot

Hang tough with the hip, it's so tempting to come back too soon!

peter said...

I have a friend who swears that barefoot running will cure all running ailments. Of course, he's currently injured. I hear your lament, you can run but you can't hide from the repercussion the next day! Hang in there! Ten push ups, way to go! That would put me to shame!

Running with Rhyno said...

Hey! I stumbled on your blog. I am new runner too (one year down). I have ordered the VFF and I am excited to try them out.
Have you read Born to Run? Great book and has a bit about barefoot running in it.
Anyway, hope you heal soon!
Crystal

A Plain Observer said...

they are just too weird for me. Maybe one day

Girl in Carolina said...

Take care of yourself! That's all that matters! :)