Monday, March 1, 2010

Are You There, Running? It's Me, Christie.

It's been 10 weeks...10 LONG weeks since my last run. My hip/pelvic bone thingy needed some me time. Your body talks, you listen. In the meantime, I've been cross training. Thanks to Jillian Michaels, I've been introduced to plyometrics and other painful things. I figured if I could jump around my living room with no irritation, then I could go out for a spin. I just needed my new kicks first.

Speaking of kicks, instead of VFFs, I went with EVOs. I ordered them last week. They're shipped out of Jersey, so I got them the next day. Too bad they run small. My toes came to the top without socks. So I sent them back for a size up. I got them today. I was excited to try them out, BUT I had to get rid of my headache first. Damn headaches. Luckily, I didn't have swimming on the agenda. The slightest headache + swimming = DISASTER.

Now on to the actual running...I hit the track with Week 6 Day 1 of the Couch to 5k programmed into my Garmin. I wanted to start back slow. And I had to remind myself that I'm starting back with a somewhat barefoot running shoe. That should take some getting used to. I started the 1st running interval on my toes. I didn't want to come down too hard on my foot. About time the 2nd interval comes around, I'm landing more on the whole foot. I'm also noticing that my calves are getting a serious workout. Guess that means I'm running correctly. Now I'm on the last interval. I started out fast, not trying to be fast. I was completely warmed up at this point. Come the last 30sec, I speed up for a strong finish. I'm sort of running on my toes again, actually the ball of my feet really. It felt good. It made my other kicks feel like bricks.

Alright, so I blink and the run is over. I cool down. And all I'm thinking is that my calves could use some me time with yoga. Actually, they were chanting, "Yoga! Yoga! Yoga!" Again, my body talks, I listen. So yoga it was. Now that I'm running again, I bet no one cares that I swam 3 times last week. Or that I did a strengthening yoga routine yesterday that still has me sore today. So feel free to scroll down to my pretty graphs below. It's been months since I've posted them. Come on. You know you really wanna.

I'm truly excited to be running again. Even more excited about the new kicks I'm running in. And I'm doubly excited that I have my cardio of choice back. I have about 3 weeks to get it together before I hit Miami. Yes, I'll be in Miami for the Winter Music Conference + 3 more days just to chill. I'm UBER excited about warm weather and getting my tan back. Glad I don't have to wait for the weather here to act right. If I see one more snow flake, I'm gonna go postal.

And on that note, I'm out. Happy running, walking, biking, yogaing, chiseling, shredding, lifting, dancing, swimming or whatever it is that you do! Just do it!



Activity
Route:TrackElev. Avg:36 ft
Location:Willingboro, NJElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:03/01/10Up/Downhill: [+0/-0]
Time:04:58 PMDifficulty:1.4 / 5.0
Weather:Fair
47 F temp; 43% humidity
47 F heat index; winds NW 9
Performance

Distance: 2.36 miles
Time:0:24:00
Speed:5.9 mph
Pace:10' 10 /miHeart Rate:169 bpm (Avg)
Calories:247194 bpm (Peak)
Notes
Cool Down = .45mi
Elevation (ft)
Pace (min/mile)
Heart Rate (bpm)
Heart Rate Zones
ZoneRange
(bpm)
Time
In Zone
Distance
In Zone
Zone 5180 - 2000h 09m36% 0.95 mi
Zone 4160 - 1800h 08m36% 0.87 mi
Zone 3140 - 1600h 06m25% 0.50 mi
Zone 2120 - 1400h 01m4% 0.08 mi
Zone 1100 - 1200h 00m0% 0.01 mi
(none)out of range0h 00m0% 0.00 mi
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Heart
Rate
Elev
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
110' 38+0' 285.6-0.31590 ft
210' 18+0' 085.8-0.11730 ft
end8' 44-1' 266.9+1.01880 ft
Versus average of 10' 10 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

10 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

Awesome....you go! Maybe I need some new kicks like yours! Glad you took time to heal.

kate nesi said...

Yay, I can't wait to read more about the EVO! I think I'm going to order a pair (thanks for the sizing tip!) I love the Vivo Barefoot sandals too. I like the EVO b/c you can wear socks and those separate toe things never felt good to me in socks, so I thought the VFF wouldn't feel that great.

Running says "Welcome Back!"

Black Girls Run! said...

Katelyn - I agree, I can't wait to hear more about EVO! I'm really intersted in the whole barefoot running movement. Especially since I'm now seeing people wear their shoes even when they aren't running.
Christie - Welcome back to running. Its funny, just as you are getting back into it, I'm starting to explore other forms of cardio.

Vickie said...

Glad you are back running! I'm sure your body loves it too. 10 weeks is a LONG time. But just think, you've been swimming too so now you've set yourself up for a triathlon this summer, right?

Kevin said...

Wooohooo.. Glad you are running again, C!

DawnB said...

welcome back to running Christie. You'll be back in no time to where you left off, because you sure kept yourself busy.

A Plain Observer said...

those VFF are butt ugly! do they offer any support? I'd be afraid they would slip off my heel. I guess the toes would hold them if the rest of the foot was out. I clicked on the EVO but couldn't figure out what it does, it does look more like a shoe which is a good thing. I am not into toes especially us runners toes. ughhh
Glad you are running.
Time to go to Miami already??? has it been a year?

Michelle said...

Welcome back to running chica mama!!!

Brittney said...

i've never liked barefoot running, myself; known lots of people who swear by it but I simply come down to hard on my feet so I need something with lots of cushioning :P I hope the "barefoot shoes" have lived up to your expectations! And best of luck with starting runnings again! I'm in the same boat :P

prashant said...

Glad you took time to heal.
home jobs india