Tuesday, March 9, 2010

So Far, So Good

I've run three times since my last post. I have to say, I really like the EVOs, despite the pain they cause. I've hobbled down the stairs for a couple of days due to sore calves. I had to put a liniment on them and everything. But it's all good. I ran in them again last night, and my calves feel fine today. Maybe they're quick learners. On Saturday, I gave my calves a break and ran 3mi in my old bricks. Talk about being aggravated. It was probably a bad run in general, but the bricks didn't help. I know I'm coming back from a long break, but I just felt so slow. It took so much effort to maintain a pace that was once easy. But it's to be expected. Unless you're Super Athlete, you're not gonna pick up right where you left off. I'm over it. I had a good run in my EVOs yesterday, where I felt almost normal. Sub 9:00 paced short runs were a distant memory. But after last night, I left the track feeling like I'd be back there sooner than I thought.

But I must confess, I've had hip irritation after my second run. It's only after a run, never during. Then a fellow runner, Dan, posted an article that may be helpful. The first injury mentioned describes what I've got going on. So I've been doing weighted side leg raises since Saturday (2x15, 5lb). I'm going to keep up with that and see how it works. I won't consider any serious mileage or races (not like I like racing) until I get that figured out.

So with the muscle soreness I had going on, I've been that much more on top of yoga. Yesterday made 9 days straight of yoga practice. And with every session, I see improvement. It's nice to be able to measure progress without having to depend on the scale. The scale hasn't been my friend lately anyway. I'm convinced it's mostly muscle. I am stronger. And I see that when I finally master a pose I couldn't do. Or improve my swim stroke. Or by doing something as simple as pushups, because Lord knows, I could only do them on my knees. I'm not busting out my jeans or running skirts, so it's all good.


Snapped a quick pic yesterday before hitting the track.

In case anyone cares, here's a recap of what I did since my last post. I'm so happy to share because I have NOT been slacking!

3/2 - Yoga: Hip Mobility (30min)

3/3 - Yoga: Power Yoga Total Body (1hr)
Swim (43:21 - 1500yd)

3/4 - 2.36mi Run (23:00 - 9:44 pace)
Yoga: Hips, Legs & Feet (43min)

3/5 - Yoga: Power Yoga Total Body (1hr)
Shimmy (21min of belly dancing)

3/6 - 3mi Run (27:44 - 9:14 pace)
Yoga: Hip Mobility (30min)

3/7 - Swim (30:45 - 1150yd)
Yoga: Wringing Out the Old (36min)

3/8 - Yoga: Power Yoga Total Body (1hr)
3mi Run - Awesome stats below :-)



Activity
Route:TrackElev. Avg:36 ft
Location:Willingboro, NJElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:03/08/10Up/Downhill: [+0/-0]
Time:05:50 PMDifficulty:1.5 / 5.0
Weather:Fair
57 F temp; 30% humidity
57 F heat index; winds W 6
Performance

Distance: 3.00 miles
Time:0:27:27
Speed:6.6 mph
Pace:9' 09 /miHeart Rate:181 bpm (Avg)
Calories:335198 bpm (Peak)
Notes
Cool Down = .43
Elevation (ft)
Pace (min/mile)
Heart Rate (bpm)
Heart Rate Zones
ZoneRange
(bpm)
Time
In Zone
Distance
In Zone
Zone 5180 - 2000h 19m71% 2.17 mi
Zone 4160 - 1800h 07m25% 0.72 mi
Zone 3140 - 1600h 01m3% 0.09 mi
Zone 2120 - 1400h 00m0% 0.02 mi
Zone 1100 - 1200h 00m0% 0.02 mi
(none)out of range0h 00m0% 0.00 mi
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Heart
Rate
Elev
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
19' 29+0' 206.3-0.21690 ft
29' 11+0' 026.5-0.11850 ft
end8' 47-0' 226.8+0.31900 ft
Versus average of 9' 09 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

9 comments:

kate nesi said...

Glad to hear you found a good way to work those hips. I also like following your results on using the EVO. I need to get a pair soon :)

Jess said...

Great job on all the runs! And you are becoming quite the yogi! Nice.

joyRuN said...

I know what you mean - after running in my VFFs, my regular shoes feel like they weigh a ton. I think I'll start transitioning over to light flexible flights for my regular shoes.

Tabitha said...

Can I have that skirt?? lol ;-)

chia said...

Girl, you are so much more dedicated than I :-)! Your logging is nothing less than inspiring and I do have to say that I'm going to blame you as I start taking on yoga despite the fact that I hate it ;-).

Happy training!

I Run for Fun said...

Sorry to hear you still are in pain. But you are such a positive person and it's great that you are finding ways to get out of it.

By the way, even super athletes don't pick up where they left off...the Kara Goucher's article in Runners' World was such a revelation! Give yourself time...and some TLC.

Liz said...

I'm loving the yoga as well!! Interested in the EVO's....I'm thinking I'll pick up a pair once I get my running groove back on!

peter said...

Nice workouts! Muscle weighs more than fat so it's deceptive when results don't show up on the scale. I've got to get back into yoga . . .

prashant said...

I also like following your results on using the EVO.
home jobs india