Monday, November 9, 2009

I Got Mojo Y'all!!

Let me begin by saying that yesterday's swim was AWESOME!! I swam 14 laps straight of front crawl. I was just gliding. It was so good that I almost forgot that my shoulders felt like they were gonna fall off from chisel class (will discuss later). And I didn't feel like I was gonna die or that my lungs would collapse. It helped that I stopped taking breaks at the end of the pool/laps a while ago. I definitely recommend switching to an easier stroke to get the endurance up. Whatever you do, don't stop swimming. If I need to cough or get water out of my nose or something, I handle that all underwater during the exhale. It was just wonderful to have my mojo working. And I thought mojo only occurred when running. Now if I could just get in the zone on the bike.

Friday night, I took my first Zumba class. It was so much fun. I was expecting all Latin music. I was very surprised to hear Proud Mary by Ike and Tina. The song speeds up so you can definitely get your shake and wiggle on. In any case, the instructor referred to me as the new girl showing up the more experienced students. My response, "Hey, I just love to dance." My favorite part of class was getting to wear a hip scarf for some belly dance moves. It looked like this but it was black. I love the sound it makes when you hip pop. I need to get one for my home practice. The scarf makes it that much more fun.

What's not fun is chisel class. The class description says sculpt and tone using weights, bands, balls, and bars. I don't like weight/strength training one bit. I know it's necessary but I don't do it. I figured that going to an actual class will make me do it. Some exercises remind me of pilates but just with weights involved. We all know that pilates hurts enough on it's own. That's why I don't do it. My first class was on Tuesday. It's wasn't so bad. She had us use some gliding discs that I'm not a fan of. You can really break something with all that sliding. I'll pass on them next time. Thursday's class was a skeleton crew. I guess everyone was so broke up for the first class, they needed more recovery time. In any case, I think she was able to concentrate on torturing the 5 of us who showed up. Abs, arms, legs, butt...BURNING!

I was supposed to do a step/sculpt class Saturday morning. But since I got in around 3:30am from socializing, it wasn't gonna happen. Maybe this weekend? We'll see. I was a complete bum on Saturday. Actually, I've been slacking in my cardio and home yoga sessions. I try to stay active. I really do. I am lazy by nature. The title of this blog used to be Becoming an Ex-Couch Potato. I try to keep stuff on the calendar to make sure I get up and do something. Actually, I'm itching to go out for a run. It's been over 3 weeks. My hip is feeling good, not 100% but a lot better than before. Oh, and I must clarify. It's the side of my pelvic bone that gets irritated, but it's still the general hip area. I've done googling and such but can't find anything about pain in this area. I just know that it's feeling good, the weather is beautiful, and I'm tempted to run up the block to test it out. Hopefully my next post won't be about me jacking myself up. Wish me luck.

10/30 - Swim (1:01:33 - 2000yd)

11/1 - Yoga (38min)

11/3 - Chisel Class (50min)
Bike (35min - 8.14mi)

11/4 - Yoga Class (1hr)

11/5 - Chisel Class (50min)
Bike (50min - 10.89mi)
Swim (50min - 1650yd)

11/6 - Zumba Class (1hr)
Swim (35min - 1150yd)

11/8 - Bike (50min - 10.90mi)
Swim (1:08 - 2300yd)

10 comments:

joyRuN said...

NICE job on the swim!!! Glide away!

I hate any classes that have anything to do with toning/sculpting/chiseling. The Pilates is a necessary evil, but I'll let the rest of my muscles be nice & flabby thankyouverymuch ;)

Ulyana said...

How very exciting about swimming! I know the feeling. Great job!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Sounds like you got a few Mojos..... Good for U!

A Plain Observer said...

given it a rest is going to help the hip and your runs will be good again.
your training is amazing

Lindsay said...

nice job on the swim! i know i can barely make it one length of the pool without having to stop and gasp for air :)

i don't mind weight lifting, but it's hard for me to be "in the mood" for the band-thingies.

DawnB said...

wow you are doing some great work outs :)I wish had taken to swimming the way you have.

peter said...

Cycling, chiseling, running (you still do that right?) you have come so far! Go! This is inclusion in its nth degree.

Jess said...

Nice job with all the classes!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Your mojo is definitely back, and then some! Keep up the momentum girl! Yay about the swimming too!

Stuart said...

Awesome job of the freestyle...now that's mojo I need!