Friday, October 30, 2009

I'm Making Progress

No. Not on my hip. That's still jacked up. There's a sensation in the joint that shouldn't be. My guess is that it's healed when I don't feel it anymore. I also suspect that the elliptical irritates it. I may lay off that for a while. But darn it, I'm not a fan of the bike. You have to be on it for a while to burn some serious calories. And you know me, it's all about the calorie burn. Well, I could just swim more.

Speaking of swimming, I'm improving. Well, at least, I think so. No, I haven't increased the front crawl set yet. BUT I'm working my way from 3 stroke bilateral breathing to 5 stroke. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I remember going from 2 stroke to 3 stroke, and I felt like my lungs were going to collapse. But I stuck with it. And now bilateral breathing is just natural for me to do. I've also learned that the key with breathing is to make sure you exhale as much as possible before you inhale. About time I get to the end of the pool, it feels like there was less effort involved. So I guess with my breathing getting better, I'll be increasing front crawl sets soon. Right now, I'm still switching to breaststroke every 50yd. Maybe in a few more weeks, I'll begin to cover more distance in a shorter time frame. I'm excited.

So I took a couple pictures after I got out of the pool yesterday.

I like blue. Can't you tell?

Me and my fins. I use them for kicking drills.

Oh, and I was also showing off a yoga pose. No, it's not that serious. I'm wearing jeans and a sweater.

My arm used to tremble. I thought my yoga teacher was crazy.

And it was luck that I got into this position. I tried to do it last week, and it was extremely difficult to reach my hand around my back to my foot. I guess swimming helped loosen me up a bit.


Ardha baddha padma paschimottanasana..Say what? Say that 3 times fast.


And with that, I'm off to the pool. Have a great weekend!!

10/24 - Yoga: Practice for the Spine (47min)

10/25 - Bike (35min - 7.72mi)
Elliptical (35min - 3.44mi)
Swim (1:02:11 - 1900yd)

10/26 - Yoga Class (1:30)

10/27- Swim (1:06:50 - 2000yd)

10/28 - Yoga: Wringing Out the Old (36min)
Shimmy (Belly dancing - 25min)

10/29 - Swim (52:01 - 1700yd)

9 comments:

A Plain Observer said...

makes me really want to get into swimming and yoga...nah...
you are doing great

Girl in Carolina said...

Wow. You seriously look amazing. You can tell how hard you have worked, girl you are looking FIERCE! I have got to start doing yoga. Hope your joint starts to feel better!

Yum Yucky said...

I'm lovin' the fins! But I can only tread water and keep my head abovet the waves. Ooops.

Jess said...

Great progress with the yoga!

Does the hip hurt on the outside part, or the front?

mrjwhit~ said...

I haven't been on your blog in a while. I need to catch up with what's going down.

Lindsay said...

oh man my arms/body totally shake in that yoga-plank pose!

sounds like swimming is coming along well! bummer about the hip, but at least there is swimming :) it definitely wipes me out when i get the chance to swim some laps.

Ulyana said...

Your swim workouts are really awesome!

I'm at a point where I'm going from 2 to 3 stroke bilateral. I can barely do 100 meters!!!!!! Your post gives me hope :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

so awesome that you're loving swimming!!! keep it up girl!

Don said...

Swimming and Yoga, sounds very refreshing and relaxing.