Saturday, October 24, 2009

Christie Runs, Right?

Right. Right? Well, in theory, yes. In real life, not so much. I haven't run since last Friday. I still have this nagging injury to my left hip. Well, it's the hip/pelvic bone region. It's been an issue since August, when I was doing some serious mileage. I can run on it. And it usually doesn't bother me during the run. But the fact is, it just gets more aggravated afterward. So I'm back to square one. It didn't help that a few days after my last run, my hip was still talking to me. Makes no sense to keep injuring the thing. I think it was about Wednesday when I decided to be serious about not running. My hip had a lot to say.

What's funny is that now I'm not pressuring myself to run, I want to run. I step into the Y and want to walk over to the treadmill. I hate the treadmill. I'm kind of jealous of the people I see getting their run on. I'm like I can do that too. For real! I'm pretty good. But you wouldn't know. I'm injured. In the meantime, I'm embracing the elliptical. It's a lot easier on me than actual running. I found myself constantly increasing the resistance yesterday. That just tickles me because I really, REALLY hated that contraption. Anyway, I finished up drenched in sweat. It was a good workout after all.

In the past, when I've stepped away from running for whatever reason, I did nothing. Absolutely nothing. It was an all or nothing type thing. When I came back to it, I would hate it. I could still manage a decent pace, but my heart rate would be through the roof. The most uncomfortable and horrible series of runs ever. But now, I'm completely caught up in swimming. Talk about some ass kicking cardio right there. With that, I think that my first run after however long will be pretty decent.

Speaking of swimming, yesterday's session was on point. I don't know what happened but all the sudden, it just started to feel easier. I was able to breathe more deeply. I didn't feel beat when I got to the end of the pool. The thought of increasing front crawl sets scare me. I wonder how I can make it through without my lungs collapsing on me. But if my swims continue to be this way, it won't be so scary after all. Mind you, when I started in swim class, I'd stop 2 or 3 times before making it to the end of the pool (only 25yd). It was torture. And once I got down there, I needed to catch my breath AGAIN so I could struggle on the way back (stopping along the way). I've improved a lot but still have a long way to go.

So Christie probably won't be running for a few weeks. And that's cool. I'm not just a runner anymore. I think I've evolved into an athlete. In the meantime, I'll be improving my swim technique and expanding my lungs. When it's time to run again, I'll be so ready to kick asphalt!

10/22 - Yoga: Finding the Balance (45min)
Belly Dance: Basics and Beyond (38min)

10/23 - Yoga: Shoulders, Arms, Wrists and Hands (16min)
Yoga: General Practice Routine (42min)
Elliptical (35min - 3.52mi)
Swim (48:43 - 1600yd)

10/24 - I'm sore. Maybe a little yoga. Maybe a lot of couch. Still up in the air.

8 comments:

A Plain Observer said...

I do hope you will get back to running soon. I have found that during injured times, I have learned to get a good workout out of the elliptical and the bike but nothing feels like a good run.
At least you have the swimming to get you through it

Anonymous said...

You will get your run on ~ probably sooner rather than later. And what your doing now, will make your running that much sweeter!!

I wish I could cycle throughout the entire winter. I may give it a go!!!

Good work Michael!

Jess said...

Best thing you can do for an injury is rest it, so skipping running in favor of other stuff is a smart plan!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

you are an athlete, glad you're enjoying the cross-training, hope you heal up quickly though :(

TNTcoach Ken said...

I feel your pain about not being able to run. It sucks but at least you're doing something. I can also relate to the swimming, since I haven't been in a pool in years!

Ulyana said...

Aaaw, I'm sorry about your injury! But you are being smart by taking a break... and you won't lose all your fitness since you are cross-training!

I Run for Fun said...

Sorry about your injury. Hope you are up and running really soon.

Lindsay said...

sorry about your hip! hope it starts feeling better quickly though. swimming is an excellent workout - always beats me up anyway! try to enjoy a little time off from running 'cause you know you'll be up to your nose it in again soon :)