Friday, July 31, 2009

102


This is me yesterday after a 6mi sweaty run on the treadmill and hitting 102mi for the month. That's right. I hit 102 miles in July! It shocked the hell outta me. I didn't think my new running plan called for so many miles. I was just following the plan and not paying attention to much else. And the best part is that my injury didn't make an appearance. Thank God! I have learned that if I'm going to be running so much that I need to run slower. Every run doesn't have to be a PR. I'm no where near being a marathoner or anything. That's not my goal anyway. I just want to stay healthy. I'm not getting any younger. And I want to look as fabulous as my friend, Diane, when I turn 60.

I think a big thing that helped this month was completing the majority of my runs first thing in the morning. Just because I run in the morning doesn't make me a morning runner. I am not a morning person. It's not that I don't function in the morning or that I need caffeine to start my day. I'd just rather hit the alarm and turn over than be on the track. Well, maybe I'd feel differently if I went to bed on time. But that's another story. Anyway, if I get it out of the way first thing, there's less of a chance for me to skip it. Well, unless I wake up with a headache or something. There are too many reasons for me to skip it if I wait. As the day goes on, especially after a work day, I get tired or get a headache or just get lazy.

So the plan for next month is to just keep running injury free. That means keeping up with cross training. I'm still taking swim lessons. My front crawl needs a lot of work. But I've only attempted it once. Hopefully, it will come to me. Once I get that down, I plan to do laps regularly at the pool (even in the winter because the pool is heated). Right now, my stroke of choice is the breaststroke. I think it's the one thing I do correctly. Too bad it's a slow stroke.

I do need to take my bike out more. But who wants to be outside in this heat and humidity? And of course, I plan to stick with yoga. Having an instructor really helps. You can't learn everything from a dvd. And if you do the poses correctly, it's like having a strength training session (Did you see my lil guns in the photo? Yoga does a body good). I hate strength training, but love yoga.

Alright, so here's what I've done the past couple of days...

7/29 - 4mi Treadmill (37:43 - 9:25 pace)
Yoga Class (1:10)

7/30 - 6mi Treadmill (57:14 - 9:32 pace)

On tap for tomorrow is 5 miles. Then 9 miles on Sunday. I'm not feeling the long run whatsoever. I really don't want to run outside. And I don't want to lose my mind on the treadmill. I could do the indoor track, but I won't know how far I ran. I could just estimate by time. I should be able to wrap it up in 90min or less. Ah, decisions, decisions.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone!

12 comments:

Jess said...

Nice job on the big July mileage!

Casey said...

Wow! Great mileage for July! That's fantastic! :D

sneakersister said...

GREAT JOB Christie!!!!! That is awesome. And running injury free is even better. You have been rocking your runs in July. Can't wait to see how things go in August. You're running PDR, right? What about Philly? Are you doing that?

peter said...

Diane looks fabulous, but so do you, Christine. Injury free (and out there), that's our mantra. Keep it up. The century mark. Woohoo!

DawnB said...

nice job Christie, I was planning on running more on the threadmill this time around but I just couldn't stick to it only when I miss a run will I make it up on the treadmill. I was going to use it to train my feet to turn over faster.

I love weight training I believe that was my edge when I was running faster.

well off to the gym for a quick weight session before they close.

have a great week

A Plain Observer said...

It's amazing that you do so many exercises in addition to running. You completed all your runs, that is great

Anonymous said...

Good work! :)

runjen said...

Wow, that mileage is amazing!

Stuart said...

Congrats on the big month!

Anonymous said...

I love your well-rounded approach. I know that I should diversify a bit too. The fact that you are taking swimming lessons encourages me to do it too.

I like to say that I can swim well enough to not drown, but I can't really do it with proper technique. I'm planning to sign up for lessons at the YMCA this winter.

Cris said...

That's pretty impressive mileage!

Girl in Carolina said...

Way to go, you're my hero!! :)