Sunday, April 19, 2009

7 Miles of Hills

They say long runs should be easy. But I figured it would be the perfect time to fit in a somewhat hilly, incline-y route. For the most part, I only have the opportunity to do that on weekends. During the week, now that I'm getting up at the crack of dawn, it's all track running. I keep hearing about the hills and inclines in Central Park and Prospect Park. And I'm sure the familiar route in my local park isn't going to cut it. So I ran around the golf course like I said I would. I chose an out and back route that had hills coming and going. Anyway, I was surprised to see that my fastest mile was mile 3 going uphill around the golf course. I don't know, I guess my thinking is, let me just get this over with already. Anyway, my pacing was fairly consistent, which shocked the heck out of me. At the end, I was so ready for the run to be over. I think this one street grew or something. I spent the last 2 miles wondering why it was the longest 2 miles of my life. What in the world? So I'm totally not prepared for Central Park or Prospect Park. But if I torture myself every weekend until then, hopefully I will be.

And with that, goodnight all! I'm tired.


8 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

my long run had quite a few hills today too. have a great sleep!

Jess said...

Nice job on the hills!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Wow, that's almost scary consistency. You're like a machine! great job.

I Run for Fun said...

Sounds like a great long run!

Unknown said...

I noticed you are doing nicely on your pacing! It is terrific that you are incorporating your hill workout into your running regiment. Five more weeks till I meet ya!

Michelle said...

You are doing sensational! Your pacing is so consistent and that is exactly how a runner should do it. Consistency is key.

I am SLOWLY learning that. I had a grueling 5.5 mile run in Prospect Park, NOT EASY! I almost dread going back there. I guess all my years of running on the boardwalk has not prepared me for racing on hilly courses.

BOO-YAH!!!!

DawnB said...

nice job out there today.You'll do just fine.

Marci said...

Great job on all of those hills!