Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Slow morning running

Morning running isn't getting any easier. The only good thing about it is knowing that I got it out the way. And that I can spend the rest of the day being as lazy as I want to be. Anyway, I just took it easy. I didn't push myself at all. It's bad enough I'm running this early. So just moving is my goal. Speed isn't everything. I guess my main thing is to be consistent and/or have negative splits. That way I know I didn't start out too fast. After the run was the best though. I interrupted my cool down walk home with a few minutes on the swings. I guess another good thing about being in the park so early is avoiding the rugrats (I love kids, can't you tell).

In other news, I opted for yoga as cross training instead of a 2miler yesterday. My thighs were still sore and I was just tired. I do feel better today though. I figured I'd ditch the 2miler anyway because I'm planning on 8mi on Saturday instead of my originally scheduled 6mi. No, I'm not trying to kill myself. I'm participating in another 8 on the 8th virtual race. It's funny because when I first ran 8mi it was for this race. And it was my first time running this distance ever. Mind you, I was scheduled for 6mi on that day as well. I just took it slow. You can't jack anything up if you go slow. At least, that's my theory. So that's the plan for this weekend. I figured I'd try for a nice and easy 10:30 pace. I should be able to maintain that for 8mi IF I'm not running at the crack of dawn. We're expecting some nice weather, low 60s and highs in the low 80s (I think). So I shouldn't have to get up too early to beat any heat.

Okay, so I never got the falafel I wanted the other day. I'm definitely going to make time to get some today. If anyone's in south jersey, check out Norma's. I love the veg combo.

Activity
Route:Park Run
Elev. Avg:0 ft
Location:Willingboro, NJElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:08/06/08Up/Downhill: [+0/-0]
Time:07:02 AMDifficulty:0 / 5.0

Weather:Fog/Mist

73 F temp; 87% humidity

73 F heat index; winds Calm
Performance

Distance: 4.00 miles

Time:0:40:04
Speed:6.0 mph

Pace:10' 01 /miHeart Rate:169 bpm (Avg)
Calories:447
189 bpm (Peak)
Notes
Cool Down = .55mi
A few minutes on the swings in the park

Strength

Girl Push Ups = 76
2x15 Crunches w/Twist
2x15 One-Arm Dumbbell Rows
2x15 Hip Flexor
2x15 Alternating Dumbbell Biceps
2x15 Forward Lunges
2x15 Squats

8/5 Cross Train

Yoga: 25min
Yoga For Every Body: Good Morning
Pace (min/mile)
Heart Rate (bpm)
Heart Rate Zones
ZoneRange
(bpm)
Time
In Zone
Distance
In Zone
193 - 1110h 00m1% 0.05 mi
2111 - 1300h 01m3% 0.13 mi
3130 - 1480h 01m3% 0.14 mi
4148 - 1670h 08m19% 0.78 mi
5167 - 1850h 26m64% 2.59 mi
(none)out of range0h 04m9% 0.41 mi
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Heart
Rate
Elev
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
110' 21+0' 205.8-0.2146-- ft
210' 10+0' 095.9-0.1170-- ft
39' 53-0' 086.1+0.1177-- ft
end9' 39-0' 226.2+0.2184-- ft
Versus average of 10' 01 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

5 comments:

Tall Girl Running said...

Morning running is tough, for sure. This is the first summer I've ever really committed myself to doing it. The only way I've found I can make it work is by giving myself a little extra time in the morning between setting my feet on the floor and actually getting out on the road. I splash my face with cold water, brush my teeth, have something small to eat, do some yoga stretching and just generally take my time. Half an hour really is all it takes, then I'm out the door. I have to admit, as much as I love to sleep in, there's nothing more peaceful and rejuvenating than running at sunrise.

Keep working on it, Christy... it'll get easier, I promise!

Jess said...

I agree. The only good thing about running early is getting it done with.

TNTcoach Ken said...

We all agree on the hate factor for morning runs but it is kinda pretty and quiet. I love knowing that a large portion of the city is still sleep when I'm pounding the pavement.

tfh said...

And having a little time on the swings when no one is around is fun, too!

Antoinette said...

Morning running takes some time to get used to, but once you get into that groove, there is just no better way to start your day!