Saturday, August 9, 2008

8 on the 8th Race on the 9th


I was pretty nervous about this one. It's been about 7mos since I've run this distance. I wasn't sure how my body would handle it. I had a small cup of chocolate soymilk. I waited until it worked it's way out of my system. Then I set out in yet another running dress (blue this time), a water bottle with a small sandwich bag of fruit and nut trail mix stuffed into the little zipper pouch on the side, and some tunes. I was good to go.

I started out slow at 10:39 in the first mile. But after I saw that I ran 10:11 in mile 2, I began to wonder if I'd continue to have negative splits. I mean, I did have 6 miles to go. Could I keep this up? Heading into mile 3, I started to get a cramp in the left side of my stomach. Maybe the water was too much? I would take a gulp every so often. Not a big gulp but bigger than a sip. A lady I had passed a few times on the path told me that I make it look so easy. Yeah, holla at me 5 miles from now and tell me how I look then. Somewhere in mile 4 I decided it was a good idea to snack on a couple pieces of dried fruit. I did that again in mile 6. Mind you, I began to feel tired then. I was originally scheduled for 6 miles. So It would make sense that I'd get a little tired at this point I should be ending my run. Okay, so I'm in mile 7 when I damn near twist my ankle. There was a woman walking toward me wearing a sweat suit made out of what could be mistaken for a trash bag. I really think she distracted me and I ended up stepping where the asphalt met the dirt. I flexed my ankle a bit while running. By mile 8, my boo boo was long gone. At this point, I just wanted to get this over with. The good thing is that I set the display screen on my Garmin to just show my pace and the distance remaining. Really, that helps a lot. When you're busy looking at your time, you're thinking I've been out here for how long? Oh man, I've got such and such time to go. That's not a good way to be on a long run.

In any case, I finished in 1:20:28 at a 10:03 pace. That just blows my mind. The first time I ran this race, I finished in 1:33:44 at an 11:43 pace. That's a huge improvement.

So during the cool down, I ate the rest of my trail mix and finished my water. I'm surprised I didn't drink more during the run, but with the stomach cramping, I guess too much water or any liquid just doesn't agree with me. Remember a couple weeks ago the coconut water didn't agree with me. Anyway, I interrupted my cool down walk with a few minutes on the swings. There were a couple of kids at the playground with their dad (I think) but they were too small for the swings. So the swings were all mine.

When I got home I did some yoga and completed Week 4 Day 3 of the Hundred Push Ups Challenge. Let me just say that it's not a good idea to do push ups after 8 miles of running. Yoga after running, though, I highly recommend.

Now I'm just extremely thirsty. I definitely didn't have enough water. I weighed myself when I got back. Mind you, this is after I drank the water I brought and ate the trail mix. I was still down 1.2lbs. So yeah, I need to work on that. Hopefully while I'm working on that I won't be eating everything that's not nailed down. I had lunch with a friend at Baja Fresh a couple hours ago. And now I feel like I can go for another veggie combo at Norma's. But first, I need a nap.

Music: 4hero Presents....Brazilika

Activity
Route:Park
Elev. Avg:0 ft
Location:Willingboro, NJElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:08/09/08Up/Downhill: [+0/-0]
Time:08:45 AMDifficulty:0 / 5.0

Weather:Fair

71 F temp; 59% humidity

71 F heat index; winds NW 8
Performance

Distance: 8.00 miles

Time:1:20:28
Speed:6.0 mph

Pace:10' 03 /miHeart Rate:180 bpm (Avg)
Calories:905
198 bpm (Peak)
Notes
Cool Down = 1.02mi
At .60mi into my walk, I spent a few minutes being a big kid on the swings.

Yoga: 30min
Yoga For Every Body: Hip Mobility

Girl Push Ups = 92
I rested in child's pose between sets.
Pace (min/mile)
Heart Rate (bpm)
Heart Rate Zones
ZoneRange
(bpm)
Time
In Zone
Distance
In Zone
193 - 1110h 00m0% 0.04 mi
2111 - 1300h 00m0% 0.06 mi
3130 - 1480h 02m2% 0.21 mi
4148 - 1670h 05m7% 0.54 mi
5167 - 1850h 33m41% 3.28 mi
(none)out of range0h 39m48% 3.94 mi
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Heart
Rate
Elev
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
110' 39+0' 365.6-0.4151-- ft
210' 11+0' 085.9-0.1174-- ft
310' 05+0' 025.9
-0.1177-- ft
410' 05+0' 025.9-0.1185-- ft
510' 02-0' 016.0+0.0185-- ft
610' 00-0' 036.0+0.0188-- ft
79' 52-0' 116.1+0.1191-- ft
89' 31-0' 326.3+0.3194-- ft
Versus average of 10' 03 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Terrific race report!! I laughed at the visual of somebody wearing a trash bag!!

Which garmin do you use? I am thinking of purchasing the 405!

Great 8 mile time! I happen to love drinking coconut water after a run! I just signed up for a 10K race in september!! I'm nervous!

Mendy said...

Wow!!! Great job!!! What an improvement from the last time. You should be so proud of that.

JKL said...

I am proud of you! You are the Champ, I am sorry I was not there to give you an award.

You need to stop gawking at strange people you almost crippled yourself.

Amy said...

Great race report and run! I didn't know you could do that with a Garmin, I would love to be able to only see how far I still have to go, and not how long I've been running - that can be so demoralizing!

Greg On the Run said...

Great job. You've come such a long way. As an aside - you probably don't need to refuel during that time or distance. You have plenty of glycogen in your muscles to keep you going. Part of all of this is figuring out what works for you.

You might want to take the sweat taste. Weigh yourself before and after a one hour run in your normal conditions - make sure you're buck naked both times. And dry yourself off before you step on the scale. Use a scale that is accurate as possible. (The one I use is accurate to 1/10.) Number of ounces lost is the amount of fluid you lost during the run. Hydrate every 10-15 minutes at that rate. Lost 2 lbs (32 ounces)? Drink 8 ounces every 15 minutes.

I tested myself and lost 4 lbs during a one hour run. It's really hard to stay hydrated in those kind of conditions.

Nancy said...

Love the improvement!! Great report. I, too, loved the trash bag and the nice spectator comment. Woo Hoo.

Thanks so much for being out there with all of us.

tfh said...

Great run! I'm also impressed at your long cooldown. My cooldown walk is usually about 30 seconds, especially after a long run. But I think walking for another mile or so is probably very smart.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Push ups after an eight miler, you're an animal. Looks like you're doing a lot of running in the higher HR zones. That takes a lot out of you, so be careful.

peter said...

Great run. Then you went home and did more (pushups and yoga). This morning I was running and stopped in at a comfort station on the trail. A National Guard contingent was there doing their monthly or yearly physical standards for their Sgt. I watched one guy do 57 pushups while the Sgt. watched and spoke quietly to him from 18 inches away. It was painful to watch! His first 40 were great, then the last 17 not so much, but great workout! He said 57 got him a score of 90.

Marcy said...

GREAT JOB CHICA!! What an improvement!