Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Three Hilly Miles Out and Back

I usually run in the park. But I chose a hilly out and back route today. Not that I was looking for hills. I just figured there is a better chance that I'd finish the mileage I set out to do if I know I have to make it back home. I'm not trying to walk all the way back.

It's been a long while since I've run this route. The hills aren't as hard as I remember. I guess the two races I did in Central Park helped. I still was surprised about the negative splits though. The second half was harder than the first half. Just check the elevation chart. You'll see what I'm talking about. It's just that my first mile always feels slow and sluggish. And I'm sure that's because I'm not warmed up yet. But while running the first mile, I always feel like I can't possibly go any faster. Then at some point, the kinks magically work themselves out. Thank God for that.

So tomorrow, I have 4 miles planned. I will definitely be in the park this time. I'm sure my legs can use a little break.

Activity
Route:My Hood
Elev. Avg:47 ft
Location:Willingboro, NJElev. Gain:-3 ft
Date:06/16/09Up/Downhill: [+134/-137]
Time:06:55 PMDifficulty:1.5 / 5.0

Weather:Mostly Cloudy

63 F temp; 75% humidity

63 F heat index; winds Vrbl 6
Performance

Distance: 3.00 miles

Time:0:26:53
Speed:6.7 mph

Pace:8' 57 /mi

Calories:331

Notes
Cool Down = .15mi
Elevation (ft)
Pace (min/mile)
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Elevation
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
19' 17+0' 20
6.5-0.2-23 ft
28' 59
+0' 026.7-0.00 ft
end8' 36-0' 217.0+0.3+20 ft
Versus average of 8' 57 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

5 comments:

Jess said...

Nice job on the hills!

sneakersister said...

Awesome job Christie!!

Hills get easier the more you do them.

tfh said...

I know what you mean about the out and back-- no shortcuts. That's some nice speed on the hills, though!

franswazz said...

Good job!
I did a tempo this morning, 3 miles in 27'10" after warm up of about 1 mile. It was hard!
66 years old female runner getting ready for the National Senior Games in August in San Francisco.
(great because I live in New Mexico, high altitude)
Keep up the great work, you look super!

A Plain Observer said...

I hate hills no more than I hate wind - but they are good for you, hills not wind.