Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bike 9/30/08

I was all ready to post pretty graphs and such. But for some reason, BimActive isn't reading the biking activity from Garmin. So I had to put in the numbers manually. Next time, I think I'll just leave Garmin on the running setting and just change the activity in BimActive. Oh well.

So my little ride was about 30min. I had a good time. I felt like a kid again. Even the uphill portion around the golf course wasn't too horrible. I ran that route as a fairly new runner once. I hated it. I guess having gears to play with helped. My quads will hate me tomorrow though.

Okay, so with today's little excursion, I feel a LOT more comfortable. There were a couple of times I took one hand off the handlebars without wobbling. Go me! But the best part is that I live in a residential neighborhood. There are rarely any cars on the road unless you're on a major road. So riding around the way, I get the road to myself mostly. I still stayed to the right and kept looking over my shoulder just in case. With the wind in my ears, I may not hear a car creeping up on me. Oh, and I can look behind me without wobbling too. Yes, this is minor stuff to you experienced bikers. But to someone who hasn't seriously ridden in over 10yrs, this is a huge accomplishment. Next thing you know, I'll be roller skating again. But let me not get ahead of myself. One thing at a time, grasshopper.

Oh, before I forget...is it just me or are there more bugs out when you're riding? I don't remember being covered in gnats when I used to ride back in the day. My shirt was all gnatted up. And some even managed to end up on me under the shirt. That was a bit gross. So yeah, I took another shower just to get the critters off. Another part of the ride that I could have done without was the part where I thought at some point I would hit a squirrel or few. They were every where. At one point, I said out loud something like, "Okay, Mr. Squirrel, ya gotta move now. Thanks."

Well, that's it for now. I'm going to spend the rest of the night with my feet up and a cocktail in my hand (maybe). I'm sure it will help with soreness. We'll see.

Activity
Route:Around the way


Location:Willingboro, NJ
Elev. Gain:+4 ft
Date:09/30/08Up/Downhill: [+290/-286]
Time:04:35 PMDifficulty:1.8 / 5.0
Performance

Distance: 5.16 miles

Time:0:29:57
Speed:10.3 mph

Pace:5' 50 /miHeart Rate:142 bpm (Avg)
Calories:205
169 bpm (Peak)
Notes
Max Speed = 16.6mph

Posted from bimactive.com

8 comments:

DawnB said...

congratulations on starting something new, very nice

Jen said...

You rock, biker chick!

Two tips:

1) Re: the bugs... Don't bike with your mouth open. Practice your nose breathing (especially if you're biking by a river... ugh. I may have eaten enough riverbugs to technically not be vegan anymore.)

2) You'll hear the cars. Except for those pesky silent Priuses.

So glad you're enjoying the bike!

Unknown said...

The gnats does sound pretty gross.

Marcy said...

The gnats have been out in full force lately. I hate those things. GAH!

tfh said...

I've definitely seen dead squirrels on the bike trail. And dead bunnies. It's kind of traumatic.

Jess said...

Nice ride, and it's great that you get the roads to yourself!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Lance Armstrong look out. I can't do the head turn around thing either, so I have a mirror and forget about the 'no hands' thing, I don't even try stuff like that.

Laurel said...

I am lucky we have great bike paths around here. I am still terrified when I have to get on a road with cars.

I rode today and when I got home had to DIG a gnat out from under my eyeball for like 10 minutes ( I forgot my sunglasses). I was so disgusted, I almost passed out. True story.

And yes, the squirrels are trying to kill you.