Saturday, September 20, 2008

WTF Man!!

I set out for 10mi. And all was good. The weather was cool. The skies were blue with cotton ball looking clouds. I had my bootleg trail mix (peanuts and raisins) and my water bottle. I told myself to start out slow. I was aiming for around 11:00/mi in the beginning. That way I know I definitely wouldn't use up too much too soon.

When I got to mile 3, I wanted to speed up but tried to keep it slow. I've never attempted such a distance before. And it's not about beating a specific time. It's about getting through it and enjoying it (not wanting to die). And I was enjoying it, especially when I hit mile 4. That's when I decided I was gonna do this thing. And I started to get this weird but good feeling. I'm thinking it was a runner's high. Okay, then it starts going downhill.

Somewhere in mile 5 I start to feel some chafing. I never chafe. I've run 8mi in a running skirt and never had an issue. But today, all the sudden I have this issue. So mile 6 rolls around and I'm reminded that I may need to replace my shoes. The right head of fibula thingy started to bother me. Yes, you can tell by positive splits after that. So in mile 7, I had to stop for a few seconds and walk out the pain. Then I decided to finish running in the grass. It helped, but what I really needed to do was to stop all together. Somewhere in mile 8, I stopped and walked again. It felt better. Then I finished up 9mi instead of 10. I decided to walk a mile for my cool down. So yeah, you can say I was outside for 10mi. Because dammit, I was gonna do 10mi one way or another. I'm not too sure how I'm going to handle next weekend's run, if I will even run at all. I have a half marathon distance on schedule. I don't see that happening. Maybe I'll just do 10mi, fibula willing.

But yeah, I don't have that much mileage on my sneakers but I guess the way that I run I need to replace them sooner than average. Maybe I'll stop off at Moorestown Running Company this weekend and check some shoes out. I'm thinking I'll buy two pairs and alternate between them. We'll see.

Well, the good thing about today is that I still felt kinda high during the cool down. And I still went further than I did before. And I ran faster than I thought I would considering the injury flaring up. The first time I ran 8mi, it took 1:33:44. Today, 9mi with a jacked up fibula head took me 1:33:22. And I burned 1017 calories. I think deserve a big drink with lots of alcohol. And I should have big greasy burgers (veggie) with onion rings. I think I should treat myself.

Well, I'm off to figure out how I can best ruin my calorie deficit. Have a good weekend, all!

Music: Sujinho by Jackson Conti
I've had this album on my mp3 player for a while now. I figured I'd play something new. I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. Sounds like some type of South American jazz. And I did hear a chick singing in what sounded like Portuguese. Then I checked Amazon.com to see that it is categorized as Brazilian jazz. So I wasn't far off. It's a good listen, mostly instrumental though. But check it out.


Activity
Route:Park Road
Elev. Avg:30 ft
Location:Willingboro, NJElev. Gain:-10 ft
Date:09/20/08Up/Downhill: [+272/-282]
Time:10:53 AMDifficulty:2.6 / 5.0

Weather:Mostly Cloudy

67 F temp; 56% humidity

67 F heat index; winds Vrbl 3
Performance

Distance: 9.00 miles

Time:1:33:22
Speed:5.8 mph

Pace:10' 22 /miHeart Rate:173 bpm (Avg)
Calories:1017
187 bpm (Peak)
Notes
Cool Down = 1mi
Elevation (ft)
Pace (min/mile)
Heart Rate (bpm)
Heart Rate Zones
ZoneRange
(bpm)
Time
In Zone
Distance
In Zone
193 - 1110h 00m0% 0.01 mi
2111 - 1300h 00m0% 0.03 mi
3130 - 1480h 01m1% 0.11 mi
4148 - 1670h 26m28% 2.43 mi
5167 - 1851h 09m74% 6.71 mi
(none)out of range0h 01m1% 0.10 mi
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Heart
Rate
Elev
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
110' 49+0' 275.5-0.3150-10 ft
210' 44+0' 225.6-0.21610 ft
310' 30+0' 085.7-0.1169+4 ft
410' 16-0' 065.8+0.0172+10 ft
59' 59
-0' 236.0+0.2177+16 ft
69' 58-0' 246.0+0.2180-10 ft
710' 01-0' 216.0+0.2181-20 ft
810' 19
-0' 03
5.8+0.0182-4 ft
910' 41
+0' 19
5.6-0.2178+7 ft
Versus average of 10' 22 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

11 comments:

Jess said...

Definitely treat yourself. Not every run goes how we want it to, but 9 miles is still a good run!

Jen said...

Totally treat yourself! I just followed up a 55-mile bike ride with a veggie burger & tater tots at a nearby pub & grill. Sooooo worth it!!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you focused on the MANY positives of the run. Many runners tend to dwell on the little negatives. Great run! It it always a great feeling to go father then you ever have before.

JKL said...

Hey, I read the whole damn thing. You need to be positive, get some new shoes and gel insoles. Well hope you feel better.

Liz said...

Awesome on the 9mi!!!

tfh said...

Great job on going the distance despite the issues that cropped up. I think 10 as the longest run on your HM plan is fine. Whatever you can do to keep from getting injured before then. I think switching off two pairs of running shoes sounds like a good plan.

Aron said...

awesome job on 9 miles and pushing through the issues. you definitely deserve a treat and hope you got one :)

DawnB said...

congrats on the nine miler Christie girl you did great. you're going to well with that half.

Michelle said...

10 miles is awesome!! So far out of my league right now!! Someday, though i hope to get a half under my belt!!

Michelle

Laurel said...

"Well, I'm off to figure out how I can best ruin my calorie deficit."

Hahaha, I think that is the best part about long runs ;)

Great job on the run. 10 miles is a good distance, way to stick it out.

I'm new here so I'll ask: Have you had someone at a local running store analyze your running to put you in a shoe? Might help any pains you are having.

Good luck!

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job on the run! And jeez, you sure can hold a pace well!!