Saturday, February 7, 2009

7 on the 7th


I was scheduled for 75min of running. But I found out about the 7 on the 7th virtual race going on today, and figured I'd do that instead. For the most part, I wanted to see if I could beat my time of 1:08:47. I was pretty nervous just thinking about it. I wasn't sure if I'd be anywhere close to my previous time. For one, I haven't run that distance since August. Two, I was running a lot more, more consistently back then. And let's not forget that I've been running indoors for the past couple of weeks. Oh, and I could have sworn that I felt a lil something going on with my right head of fibula this week. So yeah, I had a whole bunch of reasons to be nervous about beating my time.

So I head out to the park. The entrance was blocked off. I went around it and continued into the park. After running for a bit, it became clear why the park was blocked. From what I could tell, the road and path were not shoveled. The clear parts were melted by the sun. Don't get me wrong, most of it was clear. But the parts that weren't, I almost busted my ass on. I spent the first mile detouring from the path, through the snow covered grass, to the road, over some icy, slushy patches. I was surprised that the first mile was as fast as it was given those conditions. I forgot to mention that I stopped in the first mile for a potty break. It didn't make sense because I peed three times before I headed out. I guess hydration wasn't an issue. Who knew that Yerba Mate chai and a grapefruit would have me running back and forth to the bathroom.

Okay, so I would love to give the breakdown of miles 2, 3 and 4. But honestly, I don't remember them. They went by quickly. And for the most part, I told myself not to worry about negative splits, but to just concentrate on beating my time. I was hoping for a 9:40 pace. Once I began heading into mile 5, it was clear that I'd beat my time even if I decided to slow down a bit. Hey, as long as I didn't walk, it was gonna be Kool and the Gang. I was so proud of myself, smiling and greeting everyone I saw (runners and walkers). I even had a brief conversation with a fellow runner when I had 2.3mi to go. Yeah, I checked Garmin at that point, because he asked how far I was running. He asked if I ever raced. No, but I plan to. He wished me a good run, or somesuch. He was cooling down while I was running away, so I'm not sure of all he said. But it was positive. It was cool. I've never socialized with another runner in the flesh yet. I need to work on that.

Okay, so 2mi to go. I can pick up the pace for 2mi, right? I looked down and saw that mile 6 took 9:17. Then I thought, no way can I keep that up. Mile 7 definitely will not be a negative split. Maybe I can try to hover around 9:00. We'll see. And it was clear to me that I would finish up the run on the slippery, icy, slushy part. Damn, that's going to slow me down. So I thought. Well, let me just say that it surprised the heck out of me to wrap up the last mile in 8:54. What in the world? Oh, and my time was 1:06:08. So yes, a PR it is. GO ME!!


Activity
Route:Park Run
Elev. Avg:24 ft
Location:Willingboro, NJElev. Gain:-30 ft
Date:02/07/09Up/Downhill: [+229/-259]
Time:01:06 PMDifficulty:2.4 / 5.0

Weather:Fair

52 F temp; 42% humidity

52 F heat index; winds S 8
Performance

Distance: 7.00 miles

Time:1:06:08
Speed:6.3 mph

Pace:9' 27 /miHeart Rate:178 bpm (Avg)
Calories:797
193 bpm (Peak)
Notes
Cool Down = .90mi
Elevation (ft)
Pace (min/mile)
Heart Rate (bpm)
Heart Rate Zones
ZoneRange
(bpm)
Time
In Zone
Distance
In Zone
Zone 5180 - 2000h 41m61% 4.37 mi
Zone 4160 - 1800h 24m36% 2.53 mi
Zone 3140 - 1600h 04m6% 0.36 mi
Zone 2120 - 1400h 02m3% 0.12 mi
Zone 1100 - 1200h 00m0% 0.03 mi
(none)out of range0h 00m0% 0.02 mi
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Heart
Rate
Elev
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
19' 37+0' 10
6.2-0.1153-36 ft
29' 43+0' 166.2-0.2176+17 ft
39' 38+0' 116.2-0.1178+10 ft
49' 25-0' 026.4+0.01820 ft
59' 33+0' 066.3-0.1183-10 ft
69' 17-0' 106.5+0.1185-10 ft
78' 54-0' 336.7+0.41900 ft
Versus average of 9' 27 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Wow! Way to go! Can I borrow some of your speed! Great job finishing your 7 miler. Shows you how much hidden talent you have.

Jess said...

Great job on the PR!

Unknown said...

good show!

I just wanted to comment in your blog.

I've been steady on the weights for three months now, getting some basic satisfaction from now having average guy strength as opposed to total weenie strength.

Run Mommy said...

Good job! Your post is full of lots of info!

RunToTheFinish said...

way to go! and perfect hills thrown in there!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Go me, go me.... Ha, great job. The planets must have been aligned for you.

tfh said...

Excellent 7! Good for you for seeing that you could slow down and still make your goal time and speeding up at the end anyway. Especially on that kinda surface, what a challenge.