Monday, July 16, 2007

Couch-to-5k Running Plan

I'm serious about putting the couch potato thing behind me. So I decided to start the Couch-to-5k Running Plan. In 9 weeks, if there are no hiccups, I will be able to run for 30min straight. I can't wait to get there. Patience grasshopper. If anyone is interested, check it out here.

First, I had to get a stopwatch. That's definitely a necessity. There's no way I can estimate how long I've been running and walking. I played with the thing for about 30min before I got out the door. I went to the Y (I rejoined a couple of weeks ago) during rush hour. People were every where. All the treadmills were taken. So I got on the elliptical while I waited. Once a treadmill was free someone else got on it with the quickness. Oh well. So I left. I ended up at the local track and did my thing. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But I was checking the stopwatch to see when my 60 sec of jogging would be over. Well, for me it was more of a trot. I didn't want to overdue it. I guess I can break out to a full run in Week 9 when my endurance is up. I can't wait.

Anyway, here's the break down for Week 1 Day 1:

Elliptical: 15min
Walk/Jog: 20min
I also stretched before and after. Go me!

Breakfast: Strawberry banana muffin and a latte

Lunch: Panera Bread's Mediterranean veggie sandwich (w/o cheese)

Snack: Peanuts and raisins (less than a handful)

Snack: Apple

Snack: Strawberry blueberry smoothie

Dinner: I'm planning to have tempeh with onions and peppers over rice.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love your quest to get more active! I've found that green smoothies really help with my iron intake (and absorption, since the food is blended and loaded with Vitamin C).
-Jen

Christie said...

Thanks for the advice. I have to try that. Can you suggest a veggie that won't make my first green smoothie taste like grass?