Saturday, December 8, 2007

8 on the 8th


Today, I participated in the 8 on the 8th run. My plan was to run 2mi yesterday then 6mi today. But I just didn't feel like running yesterday. It was cold, and I had somewhere to be (2hr drive). So I decided to suck it up and do 8mi today instead. I gave myself 1hr 45min to do it. That should be plenty of time. And if I ran 8mi today, that gives me permission to not do anything productive for 2 days.

Instead of the track, I went to the park. Oddly enough, the park usually bores me. I'm not too sure why. But today, the cars didn't have access to the road through the park. So I jogged on that instead of the path through the woods. It was nice and clear with blue skies. Beautiful day, about 48*. Perfect running weather.

I must say that running 8mi doesn't feel any different than running 5 or 6mi. For the most part, I just have to find something to do with my mind for the time that I'm out there. Today's distraction was some tribal house music. Okay, so here are the numbers...

Music: Global Underground: NuBreed by Steve Lawler

Stats
8.00mi/1:33:44
Avg pace: 11:43/mi
Heart Rate: 167 Avg/188 Max
Calories: 901

1mi @ 12:41
2mi @ 12:36
3mi @ 12:18
4mi @ 11:36
5mi @ 11:37
6mi @ 11:22
7mi @ 11:24
8mi @ 10:08

After mile 5, I was ready to wrap it up. In mile 8, I had to pick up the pace. Lately I try making the last mile my best mile. And as you can see, it was significantly better than the rest. I must give a shout out to track 8, HiFi Freaks, for having a tight bass line. I must give another shout out to the little hills and slight inclines along the way. I ran those faster than when the road was flat. Go figure.

Alright, so today's fuel consisted of oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon, flaxseed, maple syrup and unsweetened soymilk. I had a couple of cold french fries from last night. Then right before I left, I had a lil bit of OJ. Now that it's over, I've had half a banana and a lil bit of water. And on that note, I'm off to do some yoga before something locks up on me.

Have a great weekend, everyone :)

P.S. Race results can be found here.

11 comments:

Jen said...

You're awesome :-) Congrats on the 8 miles! I think you're right about it not feeling that different from running 5. Once you've got the base, it's more of a psychological challenge than a physical one. I have a feeling we'll be reading about your first 10 miler pretty soon here... I think you should do a spring 1/2 mary. You're so ready.

Christie said...

Thanks, Jen. That means a lot coming from you. My first 10 miler isn't scheduled til February, so you'll have to sit tight. Heck, 8mi wasn't in the schedule til January. Hey, maybe there will be another virtual race to run in the meantime.

Vickie said...

Christie, great job! We are almost the same pace. Glad you decided to do the whole thing. Where in South Jersey do you live? My daughter lives in Toms River. I've been to Jersey now probably a dozen times in the last 4 years.

And we're thinking of "10 on the 10th" in Feb. That might work good for you!

DawnB said...

congratulions on completing the 8 on the 8th race. You're on your way when 8 miles feels no different than 5 or 6 miles!! outstanding.

Christie said...

Thanks, Vickie. I'm just glad my legs didn't give out on me. I'm about an hour west of Toms River. That's by the shore. I'm by the river near Philly. I'm definitely in for 10 in Feb. That will be right on schedule.

Thanks, Dawn. I'm not quite there yet. But I'm getting there slowly. Maybe in a few months, I'll be running 2x/day like you :)

Marcy said...

AWESOME JOB!!!! I totally agree with you on the 5 feeling the same as 8.

Nancy said...

WOOO HOOO!! GREAT JOB!! So glad you did it with us. You are doing so well

Thanks for joining us.

Frank Castiglione said...

8 MILES! Wow! Great job Christie.

turtle tracks said...

Congrats!!! You are such an inspiration. I can't imagine running 8 minutes. I hope I can get there someday!

Christie said...

Thanks, y'all.

Nancy, when's the next one?

TT, you'll get there.

Stuart said...

OMG, we were so musically separated at birth!