Saturday, November 24, 2007

Week 10 Day 3 - Finished One Hour Runner


Yep, I skipped Day 2's 40min run. I felt like crap all week and I wasn't making anything up. AND I don't feel bad about it. The plan was to build up to 1hr worth of running and that's what I did. If I could run 54min last Friday, then I could run 60min today.

Anywho, it took a while for me to settle in and get comfortable, about 35min. That's a bit ridiculous. I couldn't get my breathing together. It's like I couldn't breathe deep enough, but then again I didn't feel like I needed to. I just would have been more comfortable if I had. I don't think I got that part together until I picked up the pace towards the end. Luckily for me, I was accompanied by Marvin Gaye. His voice and lyrics made my time on the track so much better. I was snapping my fingers. The people I passed must have thought I lost it. But hey, I dare you to listen to Come Get To This and see if you can keep from snapping your fingers or tapping your toes. And if it doesn't move you, well you just have no soul. That's right, I said it :P

Yoga: 30min
Yoga For Every Body: Flow Series

Music: The Master 1961-1984, Disk 3 by Marvin Gaye

I have a healthy obsession for Marvin Gaye. He had such a beautiful voice. It's a shame not too many people make music like that anymore.

Jog Stats
60min/5.16mi
Avg Pace: 11:38/mi
Heart Rate: 169 Avg/193 Max
Calories: 609

Yoga: 30min
Yoga For Every Body: Hip Mobility

Yep, more yoga. The hip mobility routine worked wonders after my long run last week. I had no soreness whatsoever. Hopefully I'll have the same results this time.

Breakfast: Tofu scramble w/breakfast potatoes and hemp toast w/soy marg
Pre-run: Little bit of Vitamin Water
Lunch: PB&J w/hot tea
Snack: Cinnamon sugar almonds and a smoothie w/strawberry, blueberry, banana, flaxseed and unsweetened soymilk
Dinner: Walnut, white bean & spinach phyllo rolls from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan along w/steamed broccoli

These tasted really good. But I'm really sure that I jacked up the recipe. I had no idea what I was doing with the phyllo dough. I need some type of tutorial or a Phyllo Dough For Dummies book.

15 comments:

Jen said...

First of all, congratulations on working up to the hour-long run!!! That's awesome :-) And very inspiring to me!

What happened with the phyllo dough? I'm no expert, but here are few things I do to make it easier to work with. When I take the whole roll of it out of the box, I use a big chefs' knife to cut the sheets in half so they're less wieldy (plus I usually like to make small rolls & stuff). I immediately pack up the dough I'm not using & put it in the freezer. The dough I am using, I lay flat on a big tray and cover with a slightly damp cloth. I usually layer three to four sheets for a roll, brushing each one lightly with olive oil. It's really important not to overstuff the rolls, or else they burst while baking.

So to make the rolls, I drop a little filling not in the center of the stacked sheets, but a little to the left of center. Then I fold the left flap over the filling and brush the top and bottom with olive oil. I fold the top and bottom (up or down) and then roll the filled part the rest of the way to the end of the sheet, brushing the final bit of phyllo with some olive oil to help it stick.

Hmm. This would be better with pictures. I'll try to take pictures of the step by step next time I make 'em.

I'm trying another ED&BV recipe this afternoon :-) Can't wait! Congrats again on the running milestone - you rock!!!

Christie said...

Thanks, Jen. I never thought I'd get this far. There's no way I saw this coming a few months ago. But the best part is when I tell someone I ran for X minutes. They ask me, "Straight?" Yeah, I ran the whole time. Oh, and don't worry, you'll be running past me again in no time:)

As far as the phyllo dough goes, I think maybe I should have cut it. I had way too much left over and had no idea how it was supposed to be folded. When I read the recipe (OVER and OVER and OVER again), I couldn't picture exactly how I was supposed to roll it. I'm a big picture/diagram person and the words just weren't making any sense. So every roll looks different from the last one. They all taste the same though :)

Greg On the Run said...

Keep on going with the running - you're inspiring.

Found you on the Complete Running Network.

Christie said...

Thanks, Greg. I figured CRN would email me when they added me. I guess not.

You know what's funny? I just found your blog today through Kate's blog (about an hour ago). Isn't that a coincidence? You're on my blog roll now.

Greg On the Run said...

Back at you.

DawnB said...

congratulations on your hour run nice job. Are you thinking about racing at all?

Christie said...

Thanks, Dawn. No, I haven't thought about racing. I just want to get running under my belt before getting into anything else. If I do race, it would be just for the experience.

Marcy said...

I hope you had a GREAT Thanksgiving!! OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH I *heart* Marvin Gaye!! It IS a shame that there aren't many of his kind left. Maybe I'm getting old but all I hear is crap on the radio nowadays :-/

Christie said...

I hear you, Marcy. And that's exactly why I don't listen to the radio. It just upsets me. If I do listen, which is rare, it's the old school R&B station. Any other station makes my ears bleed.

Anonymous said...

hey, i like the new title! you are doing an amazing job keeping up with your schedule! wow! on the hour-long run! you rock!!! it's been too long since the last run for me, and you are such an inspiration!

Stuart said...

Great job on break the 1 hour mark, that's no mean feat or it is mean feet LOL!

Keep it up!

Found on this weeks shout out on CRN

Anonymous said...

by the way, cinnamon sugar almonds sound good :) i tagged you on my blog, too!

Christie said...

Thanks, Doc. When are you hitting the trails again? Oh, you can get the cinnamon sugar coated almonds from Trader Joe's.

SLB, thanks for visiting my blog.

Mmem said...

I love how you include your music selections in your workout report, that is neat.

Congratlations on finishing OHR! WOW!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Way to go on your run! For my longer runs, it has always taken me about 4 miles or 40 minutes to really settle into that long run pace.

Music is a key for me as well - this last time it was a little Gun N Roses, Johnny Cash and Markey Mark. Variety is the spice of life.

Way to go!

Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com