Friday, August 17, 2007

Is it just me or does chlorine make your hair dry faster? I swear, parts of my hair were bone dry before I got home. The Y is only 15min drive away. I wet my hair everyday in the shower. My hair is much easier to deal with when it's wet. But it never dries that fast even when I towel dry it. Today, no towel was necessary.

Anyway, swimming is still an intense workout. I definitely felt it in my arms. My inner thighs weren't affected at all. I'm surprised, but maybe I'm speaking too soon. I hope not. I really need all my energy to overcome Day 3's 20min jog. Let's just hope that tomorrow there won't be a bunch of cussin' and fussin' on the track and in this blog.

Swimming (aka keeping myself afloat): about 25min

Breakfast: The last of tofu scramble, wheat toast w/soy margarine

Pre-swim: Tofutti Marry Me Ice Cream Bar

Lunch: Salad of mixed greens (13 different kinds according to the label), diced tomato, shredded carrots and tahini dressing

Some greens I've never heard of. One of those curly leafed things tastes like a blade of grass. I've never had grass, but it tastes like the smell of grass, if that makes any sense. Never been a grass fan by the way.

Snack: Another Tofutti Marry Me Bar (Yeah, I know I'm so bad. I guess I just miss ice cream. And it's funny because I never ate a lot of it before.)

Dinner: Black bean, sweet potato and quinoa chili (Because Veg*Triathlete's quinoa & adzuki bean chili reminded me of how much I miss beans)

In a cast iron pan on medium high heat, saute a diced sweet potato for a bit in olive oil. Then add a small diced onion. Let that cook for a couple more minutes. Add chopped garlic, shake in some cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and kosher salt. Add 1 can of black beans and 1 can of diced tomatoes. Turn down to low heat and let it simmer til it smells good. Add in cooked quinoa.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I love the black bean & sweet potato combo! Glad you're liking the swim workouts. I rarely feel like swimming tires my legs -- I usually only feel it in my upper body (unless I do a lot of kickboard drills).

Christie said...

You have to try black bean sweet potato burritos. That's where the idea came from. Just add some salsa, and you're good to go.

I do a breast stroke type kick, so that's where the inner thighs come into play. I didn't feel it yesterday, but I definitely felt it this morning.

Jen said...

Oh, duh! I wasn't even thinking of other types of swimming... of course that would work your inner thighs!

Christie said...

Don't feel bad. I had to look up the type of kick I was doing because I had no idea. My description would have been the kick that looks like frog legs.