Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Week 6 Day 2

Today was a good jog. For one, it's the last day of intervals in the C25K program. I had two 10min jogs with a 3min walk in between. In the middle of the first interval, I decided to do a full on run. I wanted to see how fast I could go. And it was pretty fast. I looked like an experienced runner for a moment there. There was an experienced runner on the track that passed me numerous times. But when I kicked into high gear, he was no where near catching up to me. That made me feel good. I just can't wait for my endurance to catch up. I'd be a running fool sprinting everywhere. And you know what else felt good about today? I can run fast and not feel the need to stop all movement to recover. I can't believe that I can recover from a slow jog. That has NEVER happened before. EVER. Any other time I've exerted a whole bunch of energy, and they'd suggest you march in place, I'd just stop and lie out on the floor, couch or wherever.

Now I am a little nervous about Friday's 25min jog. Yes, I know last Saturday, I jogged for 20min without dying. But it's weird because this week started back with the intervals, and it was harder than it should have been. Actually, a bunch of people on the Cool Running discussion board had the same issue. What is it about going from a long run back to intervals? And now coming from the intervals back to a long run has me thinking that 25min will be too much when I know that it's not. Ah well, let's just hope that the weather is decent enough that I can get to the park again. Maybe I'll be bold enough to leave the MP3 player at home since I need to be aware of my surroundings anyway.

Music: Robert's Week 6 Podcast (I'm using my own music after today. Thank goodness.)
Walk/Jog: 36min

Pre-run: Hot apple cider vinegar cocktail (1T ACV and 1T honey in hot water)

Lunch: Leftover black bean chili

Snack: Another ACV cocktail

Munchies: PB&J w/tea and a banana crumb muffin

Dinner: Broccoli and fried tofu in a spicy garlic sauce w/brown rice(because I've been neglecting veggies all week) and 3 orange wedges (it came with my check along w/the fortune cookie I haven't eaten yet)

I think I'm the only veg I know who has a hard time working veggies into a diet. I've always been big on beans, grains, and starchy veggies. Luckily, I'm not carb sensitive. It's not that I dislike veggies, but it's something I have to put more thought into when meal planning. I guess that's my problem. I don't really plan my meals. Now that I have free time, I should get working on that.

4 comments:

Jen said...

The hardest thing about veggies is that I only really like fresh ones -- and if I get too busy to go to the market every few days, they can go bad quickly. It does take some planning. But it's worth it! I find that when I'm including a lot of leafy greens in my diet, I recover from workouts a lot better.

You'll do great on the 25 minute run. You're ready.

Christie said...

That's kinda my problem. I let so many veggies go bad. I buy too much at once. I bought two bunches of kale and one turned yellow. Beans, rice, flour, oats, etc keep forever. It's just easier. But I'm gonna work on it.

Ah, thanks. I'm probably thinking about it too much.

urban vegan said...

You are so disciplined!

Horizons will impress any meat eaters, by the way...and if you don't have anyone to go with, drop me a line. I'm always up for another Horizons meal.

Frank Castiglione said...

I run into this problem a lot too. I think the best solution is to buy from a local farmer's market, put the greens in the fridge and they should last at least a week before turning yellow.

As far as eating them goes, when I don't have time to sit and eat a salad I add them to a fruit smoothie. Just chop up some kale and throw it in with whatever you like. I do this a lot and it works great!

Frank