Sunday, October 21, 2007

Plans

The One Hour Runner program should be wrapped up by Thanksgivingish. What will I do next? I'm seriously thinking about half marathon training. Runner's World has personalized training programs for whatever distance you want to run and how long you want to train. It sets your pace and includes tempo runs and speed work. You can also choose your long run day. It should be interesting, especially since I have a good feeling that I'm going to hate speed work.

No, I don't plan on running a half marathon although it's not totally out of the question. I like knowing that I can do something. Maybe I will one day. But for now I want to get better at running. It's only been 3mos and some change, but I have no doubt that I can run 13 miles. The hardest part would be planning the route and music, and finding a comfortable contraption to carry all my crap. Oh, and let's not forget I have to talk myself out of throwing in the towel. Okay so the whole mental thing is the hardest of hard parts. But after that, if my body doesn't go on strike, it should be an attainable goal.

Oh, and here's this week's plan...Week 6: Run 30 minutes, 33 minutes, 41 minutes Weekly total: 104 minutes

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i use the runner's world to keep track of my mileage. it's a nice website, isn't it? i initially planned on running a half marathon, but i think i'm gonna stick to the training without actually running - like you! i think you are right that you will be able to run a half marathon soon enough :) it's training that matters to our fitness, right?

Christie said...

I actually use the training log on Running Ahead. It appears to be the exact same log, but I can enter in my yoga and elliptical training or whatever activity I choose. RW doesn't let me do that, or maybe I just don't know how to use the darn thing.

But yes, I want to stick to training. That's the hardest part anyway. I've never been competitive and I'm no match for the Kenyans, so I won't get that much out of racing. If anything, I'd enter a race for a really good cause or just for the experience. But a race is only for a day. I want to be fit for life.

Nancy said...

Thanks for your comments on my race. If I can do a Half Mary, you can too. I've found following a plan is the best way for me to stay on target. You're already on your way!! :D

Frank Castiglione said...

Christie, your totally right about the mental aspect being the hardest part. Sometimes its hard to silence the internal voice that says "you can't do it". But keep training hard; your physical progress will give you a lot of confidence.

And after you decide that you want to do the 1/2 marathon, and are 100% committed, only visualize success and the realization of your dreams. Anytime that voice creeps back into your mind, picture youself crossing the finish line.

Have an amazing afternoon!

Marcy said...

Ohhhh girl you can TOTALLY do it. I only started running in April and signed up for an HM shortly after. I went from saying "OMG I don't think I'll be able to run 13 miles" to "It's a done deal" Now I'll just have to actually do the race without being injury sidelined LOL

urban vegan said...

I have a fantasy about training for a marathon, but I doubt I'll ever run one. I ran 5 miles on Sunday. That, for me, is far. And that's enough!

Christie said...

Nancy, I'm just going to train for a half. I may never do the actual race. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll get bitten by the racing bug. But for now, I'll do the program for fitness purposes. Okay, and to see if I can actually run that far.

Frank, that voice came to visit me today when the sun was beating down on me (I got a tan. Who gets a tan in October?). It said something like, Girl, what the hell were you thinking? I didn't give in though, thank God.

Marcy, you just started in April? You run so fast. I hope you heal up soon so you can continue to burn up the trails.

Urban Vegan, 5 miles is a lot for me too. I haven't gone that far yet so you've got one up on me. It's good to see you're back to working out after your injury. Keep it up.