Sunday, October 14, 2007

Resting and Dancing

I was tempted to workout yesterday, but I let it go. I ended up at an after hours party in Philly. Let me just say that dancing is so much more intense than running on any day. I'm sure I burned about half the calories I ate yesterday. Well, that's what happens when DJs spin really good music. And you won't hear any of it on the radio. I heard Redman, Biggie Smalls, A Tribe Called Quest, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Roy Ayers, Bob Marley, Parliament, just to name a few. My friend said I was like VH1. I named a lot of songs as they came on. Hey, I love music. That's what my profile says.

It was good to be out and around a bunch of different people. People you think you'd never see in one place. People you'd think couldn't dance. Then next thing you know, they're battling each other on the dance floor. It was also good to be out in a place where no one bothers you. A typical club has people standing, holding up the wall trying to look cute to collect phone numbers. Here, people dance and have a good time. Oh, and running shoes make the best dancing shoes. I could easily slide across the dance floor. No, I was not out trying to be cute with shoes that have your toes overlapping. I was comfortably dressed in jeans and a breathable top. I came to get it in, which I did.

Cool stuff about last night...

**I knew the bartender. I went to ask her where the rest room was, then next thing you know we're catching up. I taught her how to make Sex on the Beach. Yes, I actually remembered something from class.

**One of the DJs came to talk to me. He meets so many people, I figured he may have forgotten me. I love him to death. I sometimes play his mixes for running. He's going to give me another CD. A couple of years ago, he told me that I have impeccable taste in music. That is the best compliment I can get from a professional DJ.

**I was twirled around on the dance floor. It was so much fun. My friend said it looked like we coordinated the dance.

**I made new friends, Ram, who did the twirling, and Lauren, who was celebrating her birthday and stressing about turning 23. 23? That's not old.

**I got to party til 4am. Well, actually 4:14am. Yes, I said it was an after hours spot.

**I had a tasty black bean burger in a South Philly diner. I'm going to assume it was vegan since it didn't make me sick.

**I found out that my friend is half Jamaican. So am I!!

**I laughed and smiled all night :)

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Dancing absolutely counts as cross training ;-) Honestly I think that was the only way I managed to stay on the thinner side during college LOL

Mmem said...

That sounds way more fun than running any day!!!!!!!!!

Christie said...

Marcy, it was the most fun, intense cardio ever.

Wannabe5Ker, I loved it. I definitely plan to go again.