Friday, October 12, 2007

Week 4 Day 3

Today's yoga routine included some twists, ab exercises, thigh/hip stretches and sun salutations. But what about the butt area? My butt is really sore today. Must be those darn lunges. I guess that means I'm doing it right.

I told myself to take it slow on the run. For one, my butt is sore. Two, I didn't eat enough yesterday. And three, 35min is technically my long run, so I need to slow down to make sure I get through it. I'm not sure why my average heart rate is higher. That's something I have to read up on. I'm wondering if the weather has anything to do with it. It was pretty cool, 63 and windy. Maybe your heart beats faster to warm you up? It felt chilly to me. But I ended up taking off my jacket around lap 2. Anyway, the run felt really easy. Nothing was sore, well except for my butt which was already sore. Other than that, it felt like I didn't work hard enough. Well, there's always next time.

Okay, so on to Week 5. Here's the plan: Run 30 minutes, 32 minutes, 38 minutes Weekly total: 100 minutes

Yoga: 30min
Yoga For Every Body: Self Esteem Booster

Music: The Michael Baisden Show on 105.3 WDAS FM

Jog Stats
35min/2.95mi
Avg Pace: 11:51/mi
Heart Rate: 165 Avg/184 Max
Calories: 343

Breakfast: Two multi-grain pancakes (blended oats, walnuts, wheat flour, corn meal, flaxseed) w/soy marg and maple syrup
Snack: A few black bean tortilla chips
Lunch: Grilled tofu w/veggies and a baked potato
Dinner: PB&J and grapes

Ah yes, no class today. I actually cooked something.

5 comments:

Frank Castiglione said...

I know that for me, the heart rate changes if I am overtraining. Maybe the soreness and heart rate are your body's way of telling you to take a day off and recover. Keep us posted about your next workouts and the heart rate!

Have the best weekend ever,

Frank

Christie said...

It's weird because the run before this one felt so much harder. I was tempted to workout today, but I didn't. Maybe that's a good thing. I'm a lot less sore now.

DawnB said...

The temps. do affect your heart rate. The hotter it is the higher my goes. On days like today very low. Today was gorgeous. Sounds like you might have been just overdressed.

Your question regarding the threadmill,

not all the time. when I do its when I want to get a hard run in and can't do it outside so I may incline 1%. When I'm doing hills I may do up 5% but at a much slower speed level 5.3 I can't run on the treadmill for very long I've been pretty lucky to get 7 to 8 miles at times. I think this winter I will spend more time on the treadmill this will help me more in the spring.

Renee said...

If you're overheated your heart rate will be higher. The basic rule of thumb is you should feel freezing when you walk out the door for a run. In 63* I wear shorts and a tank. If it's really windy, I wear short sleeves. Yesterday it was maybe 50* when I went out and I wore shorts and l/s shirt. My jacket doesn't come out until we get into the 40s as a daytime high.

At this level I wouldn't worry much about overtraining but I would say you are probably overheating. I always look like a dumbass completely under-dressed when I walk out the door but as soon as I get to the running path I find like-minded dressers.

I have a friend who will run at this time of year in shorts, a sports bra and gloves. Her neighbors heckle her all the time.

Christie said...

You know, I just don't get it. I was chilly til I got moving. Windy 63* with no humidity actually feels cold to me. Ah, the joys of being anemic.