Saturday, October 27, 2007

Week 6 Day 3

Just because I'm feeling better doesn't mean that I feel like running. But I did it anyway. When I started, I felt like I couldn't go slow enough. I just wasn't comfortable. I couldn't get into a groove. I had to switch up music a couple of times too. The fact of the matter is I really didn't want to be on the track today.

And I just don't get the whole heart rate thing. On days I feel like I can speed up and keep running, my heart rate is off the hook. On days I just want to get it over with and think that speeding up will be uncomfortable and unnecessary, my heart rate is lower than it should be. Today for the first 20min or so, my heart rate is in the 160s. My target heart rate is 151 or something like that. After that time, it dropped drastically like all the sudden I went for a walk. It ranged from 156 to 77 bpm. I'm convinced that my heart beats when it wants to, how it wants to, and is determined not to follow the guidelines of some generic chart. I just have to go by how I feel.

In other news, I ran for 41min and I didn't want to die. So here's next week's plan...Week 7: Run 30 minutes, 34 minutes, 45 minutes Weekly total: 109 minutes

Music: Surrender to Love by Kindred the Family Soul
A lovely husband and wife team from the city of brotherly love and sisterly affection, and home of the Eagles who always choke :)

Jog Stats
41min/3.41mi
Avg Pace: 12:02/mi
Heart Rate: 127 Avg/168 Max
Calories: 390

Breakfast: TJ's Toasted Oatmeal Flakes w/raisins and unsweetened soy milk (I finally went shopping:)
Snack: Same
Lunch: Black beans w/tomatoes, corn, and quinoa (I actually broke down and cooked the other day.)
Dinner: More cereal because I miss it so

**Updated**
I baked sugar cookies and I'm waiting for them to cool off. I have one heck of a sweet tooth today.

5 comments:

urban vegan said...

I'm so in line with how you feel about running. It seems that bodies in motion stay in motion, as the adage goes.

Last Sunday, I ran 5 miles--farther than I have run in years [Hey! I'm an old lady.] I hope I can do it again tomorrow.

Christie said...

At least you're in Philly, where you have great scenery to take your mind off the task at hand. I'm sure you'll do fine. If you did it last week, you can do it again.

Jen said...

41 minutes!!! That's awesome :-)

I don't get the HR thing either. Thanks for the advice about starting up slowly... I don't think I'll have much choice about it--I'll be slow as slow can be, no matter what. But at this point, I'll just be so happy to be running that I won't care.

Enjoy the cookies!

Christie said...

The cookies were good. I definitely need to work some fruit and veggies into my life tomorrow. That means Greenie Tahini bowl and smoothie time. I still have veggies left.

Marcy said...

I don't get the HR rate thing, and I never use a monitor LOL I just go by how hard . .or not LOL it feels