Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Week 8 Day 2

I woke up so sore today..my calves, quads, inner thighs, and my hamstrings too, I think. And the more I sit, the more sore I am when I do get up. Since it felt better to move, I decided I'd go out and try to run. But first, I did a bunch of stretching. I ran on the indoor track today. Actually, the run went well. I picked up the pace on a good portion of it. I'm sure I ran further today, but I don't have any numbers. 18 times around the track equal a mile. And I'm not doing all that counting. Maybe I should get a pedometer. Do they measure mileage or just steps? I'll have to check that out.

So, am I the only one who makes it a point to chew gum while running? I guess that little bit of chewing helps to occupy my mind a bit. It's funny because music hasn't done that for me yet. I may get pumped up during a song, but never get lost in the music to take my mind off of it. The music is just kind of in the background. And it takes me a while to realize that I'm listening to a song that I usually skip through. I'm not hardcore enough to run without music though. But I'd like to get to that point. Today, I made a deal with myself not to check my watch until I heard a certain song. By that time, I had less than 9min left. Then I made the same deal with the next song. I swear, I think that song is THE LONGEST song on the cd. I kept wondering when it would be over. I had about 2min left when it was done. Finally.

Music: Lazy Dog, Disc 2 by Jay Hannan and Ben Watt
Stretch: 20min or so
Warm up walk: 5min
Jog: 28min
Cool down walk: 5min

Breakfast: Smoothie w/strawberry, blueberry, banana, baby spinach, flaxseed, and soy milk
Pre-run: A few walnuts w/raisins
Post-run: Finished the smoothie
Lunch: PB&J
Snack: Apple
Dinner: Same as last night
Snack: Sesame crunch candy and So Delicious ice cream sandwich

5 comments:

Frank Castiglione said...

The pedometer just measures the number of steps...I think.

My favorite tool though is a heart rate monitor. I encourage all of my clients to use one.

I use a Garmin, it tells you your heart rate, mile pace and total distance. Then, after the workout, you can plug it into your computer and download your stats. Some models will even show a map of the route you took.

And for the soreness, I'm a really big fan of foam rollers. Check out www.powersystems.com (they have a good selection). You can also google "myofascial release" to learn more about what it does. Basically it gives the muscles a deep tissue massage.

Have a great night and keep up the hard training!

Christie said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

urban vegan said...

I'm so jealous of your exercise regimen. Since I hurt my back, I had to cut back. *sigh*

Christie said...

Hopefully you'll heal up just fine so you can go back to doing what you normally do. I'm glad it hasn't affected your ability to cook. Your food always looks so good :)

Anonymous said...

i know some people use their mobile phones to track the miles. i use google earth. good work!